Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up open files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickT

MIS
Aug 8, 2001
US
I'm working on a Windows 2000 server. This server acts as a backup in case my primary server goes down. I am running DNS on this server to allow email and Internet access to continue if the primary server is not functioning.
I wanted to extend a volume on my C drive. I can't because it was changed from a basic volume to a dynamic volume.
My plan was to use Windows 2000 backup to save ALL the data to tape. I would then recreate the volume as dynamic and restore the data. When I run backup I always have files that do not save because they are open.

How can I accomplish this task? I want to move to dynamic disks because I want to mirror the drive.

Thanks, Pat

You will need to install an Open File Agent which is compatable with your backup software. Their not cheap!!

Hope this helps, Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

We use backupexec here and they have two things that might help. They have a OpenFileAgent...but like selby said..it ain't cheap! Also they have this thing called Intelligent Disaster Recovery...IDR. We don't use it but from what i've read its like Norton Ghost but it will back up your whole server and then you SHOULD be able to restore it..don't know how it works but its expensive too!!

Thanks,

In a normal Windows 2000 backup senario, how do you backup and restore in a disaster? Aren't open files a problem there?

Is the Windows 2000 backup program a solution that will keep a network going after a failure?

Is an open file agent always a necessity? There is no one using the server except the backup program. I even tried scheduling the backup and signing off the server. It still said there were files open.

Thanks, Pat

Well usually its all about the data..you can always re-install the actually programs. That's the best thing to do if you have solid good data to restore from. Whenever somethings hoses up here we just re-install the O/S and any software and then restore the data...and usually we are back up!

Thanks again,

I'll fool around with it and see what I learn. It isn't the primary server anyway. If I don't get the experience now I won't be any good if we have a real failure.

It can always be fixed if I screw it up too bad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back