Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Mysql on Version 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanropp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
US
I'm new to veritas and mysql. I know in arcserve you have to have the sql agent installed to backup a full sql database. I have selected the data folder to be backed up but noticed that none of the .mdb files are getting backed up. I'm assuming this is because the mysql service is started and the files are showing as being shared. Is there an easy way to get around this without having to purchase the sql agent?

Thanks,
Ryan

You have a couple option:

First the Veritas SQL agent will not backup MySQL.

If you want to back the files up directly you must make the following registry change on the Backup Exec server:

Once you make this change you should be able to backup the files but if the MYsql is running Im sure you will see them skipped in the job log.
You can create batch files to stop/start the mysql and place the batch files in the pre/post command in the Backup Job setup. Then it may grab them. Otherwise you will still need to make the registry change above and purchase the AOFO option.

Or, you can cause MySQL to create it's own backups, then use BE to copy them to archive. I do this with MSSQL and Oracle, works great for our situation.

I just used microsoft backup in server 2003 to backup the files to a folder before veritas runs and have veritas get that folder, works great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back