Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I just wanted to check to see if there is a function in Exchange 5.5 to backup the users mailboxes. I know that I could use Backup Exec, but I want to see if there is another way.

Is there a utility already in Exchange that will allow you to copy the mailboxes?

TIA for any tips. mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

In Exchange, not really. But there's a couple of things you can do periodically that may help: 1) Create an offline folder (OST) that synchronizes the users mailbox every day. This will be stored on the user's machine, which is typically not backed up, but then again, it's just there for emergency....or 2) Use the Exmerge tool to copy all mailbox data to a .PST file(s). Depending on the size of the mailbox, this can be very time intensive, and I don't know if there's a way to automate this. These aren't great solutions (heck, they're not even good), but you work with the tools you are given.

You should also check CommVault Galaxy backup product. You can backup mailboxes and restore even single messages. If you have a MS only environment, you can also use it for OS backups.

Thanks for all your posts. I will look into them.

I have another quick question. Whe have only recently installed Exchange 5.5. I am in the process of moving everyone over to it. I have some users that I have moved over already, but it appears that they are still using
Mailbox.pst
files? I thought that exchange did not use these? I am attempting to get rid of all *.pst files, as some of my users are reaching over the 300mb size.

Is there anything else I should be doing to stop them from using the pst files?

mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

The users will have to attach the pst file to their profile and then move all the messages into their Mailbox. Make sure the profiles are setup to deliver mail to the Mailbox and not Personal Folders.

Jessica

I have moved all of their messages into their mailbox. I have removed the personal folders, and changed the delivery to their mailbox.

However when I check the properties of the pst file, it is showing me that they are still using it??

What do you mean by "attatch the pst file to their profile?

mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back