Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Data on NAS to Veritas .... Suggestions Welcome !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabil00786

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2007
US
Greetings,

Equipment:

1. Windows 2000 Server /tape drive / Veritas 10d + Windows Server Agent.
2. NAS Device (Terastation) 1 TB Storage. 1 NIC.

The Plan:

1. To backup Data to tape from NAS.

Million Dollar Suggestions:

1. How do i do it? :)
2. NAS doesnt have O/S so cannot install Agent.
3. .... anything that could help

Thank you in advance

-Bill

Should be able to set up the NAS as a drive on the server (maybe mapped) and then you should be able to create a job that will see the data on the NAS.

2 ways to approach.

1: Can you ssh into the Terrastation and install the RALUS agent?

2: Create a user-defined backup using the unc path.

Fellows,

Great Suggestions. Working on all of them right now.

Thank you,
Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm attempting to do the same thing witha NAS device. How did you get around it in the end?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I am using Veritas (10d). I created some user defined selections and gave it the path to the shared folders on NAS. This way all the shared folders and sub folders became visible and ready to be backed up.

Not to forget, you have to first enable selection of user shares in veritas.

go to ---- Tools-->Options-->(windows opens up, on the left bar highlight "Network and Firewall". On the right side, make sure the top 3 are checked.)

Hopefully this would work for you. Give me a follow up.

-Bill

you can also use the "duplicate media set" action to make a copy of what's on tape to the NAS and vice versa.

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the slow delay, the problem is on a different site that I don't get too much.

I've tried what you suggested, however the backup job still fails because it can't use an agent. Even though it does appear to back the data up.

Does yours still error in the same way? If not how did you do it outside what you have already mentioned?

Many thanks

Steve

I am still new to backup exec so please forgive my ignorance. When you are running backup exec to backup files over an UNC name, does the server have to be logged in? If not, can Backup Exec map a drive letter?

I am trying to back up a NAS device (StorageVault s500) which I can not load an agent on to (or I can not find one). The other problem that I have no control over is that our company uses an outside vendor to do backups. They are saying they can not backup this device and I am trying to prove them wrong but I need to be able to do it with out being logged in at the console. I need the back ground services to do everything. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

John

John,

Check out one of my previous posts dated/timed 23 Jul 07 10:36.

You can backup any NAS device, without breaking a sweat. After following the steps in my post on 23 Jul 07 10:36, you can creat 'User Defined Selections' from the Backup option in Veritas. This 'User Defined Selection' can be taken as mapping any shared folder from any desktop/server or NAS device. After defining the Selections, you can backup any/all the folders/files from those Shares.

Now about the outside vendor backing up your data, I think they do not know how to backup NAS. I gave you one simple way of backing up NAS above. I backup NAS everyday using Veritas.

Hope this helps.
-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back