Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up config file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscouser3

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
Hello,

This may be a simple question but how do you save the configuration file from a PIX 506e (version 6.3) to a computer? I can connect to the Pix firewall through the Console port using Windows HyperTerminal but don't the command to save the config to my PC.

If I were to edit the config file outside of the firewall, how would I load the updated config file? Thanks for any help.

You can enable logging through Hyperterminal from Transfer/Capture Text option on the toolbar. This will create a log file with a name of your choice.

Once in there, you need to enter enable mode with the 'enable' command. Then you can execute the 'show running' command to see the entire PIX config.

All this output will now have been saved to the file you saved above. You can then either close Hyperterminal or cease logging by selecting Transfer/Capture Text/Stop.

Hope this helps

Excellent. Do I keep the captured file as a text format (*.txt) or does the Pix config file need to be saved as a certain format.

If this is possible, I assume I would have to use Notepad to edit the config file? And would I also use HyperTerminal to upload the edited config file?

1)copy running-config tftp (you will need a TFTP server running)

2) do a show run and copy and paste into a notepad

3) use KiscoKids way

I'd usually save it as a txt file. Standard text format is fine in regards to saving and pasting configs to/from the pix. Yes you can use Notepad to make changes to the config.

To upload the config, open hypterminal as before and from the config prompt, just copy and paste your text file directly into the pix.

Thanks bakeacake and KiscoKid. This helps a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back