Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up cisco 6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster123

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
GB
Im about to make some changes to my 6500 cisco swith. what is the best way to back up my config file. I want to be able to restore the switch the way it was just incase something happens.

i usully copy the ios image to tftp or i would do a sh run and copy and paste the config into notepad and save it.

TFTP is the easiest. Install a TFTP server application onto your PC. From the console or a telnet session type:

Code:
cat-6500#copy run tftp
Address or name of remote host []? 10.10.10.10
Destination filename [cat-6500-confg]?
!!!!
12627 bytes copied in 3.144 secs (4016 bytes/sec)
cat-6500#

You can also use FTP or RCP as the destinations but TFTP is by far the simplest. Once the file is on the TFTP server you can copy it back by reversing the command (copy tftp run), although it obviously asks for the filename.

HTH

Andy

are you running Hybrid or Native? Is the 6500 configured as a switch with the MSFC as a router or as a Layer 3 Switch.

As you will either just be running one code and one config otherwise you may have two codes IOS & CATOS and two configs.

If you just a copy just in case you want to copy it back ,just copy the current running config into bootflash and name it . If you need to change it back just copy from bootflash into running or startup config .

I just copy into notepad, tftp seems like too many extra steps for just the configuration.

i copied the running config on a 2950 as a test and paste it to notepad and copy and paste it back but now the en password doesnt work how do i reset it.

was the enable password encrypted in your configuration? I have a feeling you copied the encrypted password and now have a password of characters rather than an actual word.

yeah it was. but now i reboot the switch even the ip settings were erased. damn.

if you were using

enable secret

comand you should have a 5 after if it was just an

enable password

it would have been a 7 which you can decode via getpass from Boson a 5 is a bit more dificult but it still should have been the correct password. What emulation software are you using? Hyperterm some times puts the characters down a bit quick so gets them wron but yo can change the buffer speed but Reflections is better to paste long configs back expecially crypto keys!

but if not use this to recover password:

Yep, if you are going to use notepad and cut & paste then you will need to manually edit things.... Use TFTP........

Andy

now i have the files copied to a tftp server now whats the command to copy the file back to make it the startup file?

it should just be "copy tftp start", then plug in the ip addresses and file name.

how did you resolve your password issue?

i had to connect to the console then it told me i have to run initial setup again so thats what i did.

ahhh, so you completely wiped the config. Now here is a situation where having it in a text doc is better than tftp, because when the switch has no IP addresses you'll be unable to use tftp until you reconfigure the interface to connect to the tftp server.

If you use hyperterminal as your emulation program, there is a feature to capture text. you can do a sho run and capture it to a text file on your local pc. THis text document would look the same as a tftp downloaded copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back