Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up an Exchange 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

plesbit

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2010
GB
Presently we try to backup our Exchange 2000 server using NT Backup. All the documentation I have found suggests that this should not be a problem - and for the most part it isn't BUT....

Two daily backups exist. One backs up the whole of the C drive and system state etc. The Exchange databases sit on the E drive and these are backed up separately by a second NT Backup process which runs in the early hours of the morning. The logs state that the backup completes successfully - and it takes about 30 mins to do so. Every morning as a matter of routine these and the files themselves are monitored. The BKF file gives its size as 13.5GB which is broadly accurate against the size of the datafile and streaming file.

However if you wish to open the BKF and catalog its contents the file will load but it states that it does not contain anything! 13.5GB sounds like an awful lot of nothing! Obviously this is slightly worrying for me because at present its means our Exchange server is essentially not being backed up.

I am sure it is and that the fault lies with me - having no training on Exchange I am almost certainly overlooking some element of the restore process which I am guessing is rather different with Exchange than with other systems.

I will do my homework, of course, and see what I can found out through Google, but if anyone has any pointers it might save me some time.

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried restoring the backup to an alternative location? this will tell you if there are actually files there (and considering its 13GB I would think there is).

You could take it one step further and mount the databases in exchange to test maibox access, if you don't have much exchange exprerience I would give this part a miss though.

Bobby

Am I unable to restore the backup to any location because when I try to select the files to restore it reports that there are no files contained in the backup (i.e. there is nothing for me to select to restore). I cannot click on an empty list.

On the other hand, the BKF file size is 13.5GB so there obviously is SOMETHING in it, but whatever it is it won't let me restore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back