Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing Up Aloha POS Menus??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaquestions

Technical User
Dec 20, 2010
US
I am trying to figure out how to migrate the menu (all the items, categories, panels, buttons, etc.) from an existing Aloha 5.3 setup to a newer Aloha 6.1 system that will be installed in another, near identical, restaurant.

The new hardware came to us used from a different restaurant, so the menu is not the same and needs to be synced. The hardware itself is staged and seems to be working fine. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to transfer the database files so I don't have to rewrite everything from scratch?

The menu and store information is contained in various files in the aloha\DATA folder.

If you've got that, you're pretty much good in terms of having the menu. It's more involved than that for a full migration- you'll need the input the security info from the old restaurant, etc, and the database will need to be update to 6.1 (which it will probably do automatically).

If you want the reports to look the same as the old store, you might also want grab your rpt.set file so you don't have to do it from scratch. I'd also probably copy over the BMP and RECIPE folders- those aren't as critical, but if consistency is what you're after, you'll want them too.

Can't think of anything else you really need at the moment.

Are there specific files I should be after? I'm not too concerned with store information (I can input that myself). Would it be safe to just overwrite the aloha\DATA folder? Would the terminals display the proper menu after a refresh?

I would copy most of the data into the NEWDATA directory instaed of the DATA directory. The files that I would import are the following

itm.dbf- item files
cat.dbf-category files
cit.dbf-should always come with the cat.dbf
mnu.dbf-menu
sub.dbf-submenu
mod.dbf-modifiers
qtyprice.dbf-price for quantity
tdr.dbf- for payment tenders
msg.dbf-messages
prl.dbf -for price line item pricing
pro.dbf-promo items
prt.dbf-printers
prg.dbf-printer group
tab.dbf-tables

copy all these files to newdata directory, do a dbase upgrade to recreate all indexes, it will show errors at first, but that will go away after dbase upgrade. refresh, then you should be close to be indentical to the other restaurant. Doing it this way does not touch your aloha.ini file(store setup) and licensing.

also if you copy it to the DATA directory, next time you refresh, it will be overwritten.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back