Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up a ws- Connection Broken problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzeppy

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
I am trying to backup win98se workstaion using arcserve 6.
The server os is Netware 4.
I installed the agent for Windows 95 (arcsrv32.exe) I am able to select a files, destination and run the backup. The job hangs on the first file Arcserve trys to copy and I get "backup Job failed" message. when I check the server error messages:

Recieve time out (sequence=3)
backup operation failed

Backup Status: failed Reason: Connection broken

I tried backing up win95 workstaition and get the same results.

Any ideas?

If possible try a backup without the client agent or try a copy job. The agent should have a debug mode enabled via a registry setting. Also check in the adnin for the agent for a priority setting and set it for the lowest setting.

If I try to run a backup without the agent loaded I will not be able to select the files to backup from the host workstation and I get a message "agent is busy or unloaded"
I checked the admin setting in Arcserve Manager. I couldn't locate an option to tweek the prioriy settings.

I think I have a problem may be with the workstation database; all the workstaions on the network are defined as MS-Dos. I tried to change a workstation definiton to windows 95, but that option is not listed in the pull down menu. (Windows is but not Win95)
I tried deleting the database entry of one of the workstaions and installing the win95 agent for that workstaion which will create a new entry in the database. I did this and the entry is still MS-Dos.

Is there a way to fix this?

thanks DavidMichel,

I tried backing up a win95 workstation which had a FAT formatted hard drive (the others I tried were FAT32) and it worked to some degree. I selected the backup of the entire workstation (I read something about a bug with the win95 agent that backup will fail if you filter any files)
I ran the backup and it was aparently copying files. I stopped the backup by closing the agent on the workstaion. (I did not have time to finish the entire backup)

I am not sure what made the difference; the FAT hard drive or selcting the entire workstaion for backup.

-j

Problem Solved:

There are switches to use when loading arcsrv32.exe; -% to force 1024 packet size, and -! to force 512 packet size. I found success with the -! switch. I was able to backup and restore on a windows98se workstaion (one I previously had trouble with.)
This looks like the answer.

ciao,

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back