Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up 2000 and other ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glock918

Technical User
Aug 5, 2004
US
Got a small problem in 2000.

Here is the setup:
16 computers, all 2000 OS, on a peer to peer network w/ file sharing and printer sharing. The individual users are HORRIBLE about backing up. SO, I fooled around with the backup utility in 2000. I was thinking about backing up all computers every night (scheduled task) to one off the newer computers. So far so good in my trials. Now to burn the data off on to some media. I was contemplating buying one of the newer 2 layer DVD burners and installing it in this computer, and making a scheduled task on Thur night to burn the data. The user of this computer will take the DVD home with her (my wife) for a off site copy. This sounds well and good, but the back up utility will not allow her to write directly to DVD/CD. I have just read some info on this site that indicates 2000 does not support this. All computers have the newest updates from Microsoft.

I am not ruling out buying a third party software that will take these Microsoft backup files made by NT Tape Backup Utility and burn them as one file or multiple files onto the two layer DVD RW. I am interesting in seeing how these 8 GB media formats are used in the future. Feel free to suggest a cost effective one you like that can be automated as described above. (backup utility).

Secondary problem: The newest computer I ordered had 2000 on it but XP pro as the system restore utility. I asked Dell about this and they stated that 2000 will be phased out. Does XP and 2000 “play nicely” together? For example, I had to do some configuring with user accounts between 98 and 2000. I am hoping to avoid that when we add XP pro to the works.

Her firm is growing to the point where I think a server is in our near future. All of these servers are using data tape drives. I really don’t like tape drives, of course, I am basing this on experience of years ago with the old zips. Is the above to complex and wasting my time? Should we just bite the bullet and get a server?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
Art in KY

Secondary problem: The newest computer I ordered had 2000 on it but XP pro as the system restore utility. I asked Dell about this and they stated that 2000 will be phased out. Does XP and 2000 “play nicely” together? For example, I had to do some configuring with user accounts between 98 and 2000. I am hoping to avoid that when we add XP pro to the works."

You mean a dual boot?

Whatevery this mix is, XP Pro's system restore feature is not going to help your Win2k installation.

. Your general point:

XP has a lot more features than Win2k for OS protection: System Restore, driver rollback and protetected file storage system.

It also has BITS, which would allow a compliant backup program to create real-time backups of an active system.

There are several third-party tools that can handle the reluctant workstation user to backup. In a workstation setting I am not convinced that for regular backups using CDRW and DVDs is a solution (do you want compelete images of each workstation, or just user data files?) As hard disks are cheap, I would use a large hard disk on an always on computer.

You have a lot of choices, and some research is needed. From the small to the big:

. . . Acronis: True Image
Typical of the BITS enabled client
. Higher end: Google "windows workgroup backup software"
There are some terrific products out there.

Thanks for the reply. I was not clear on the XP/2000 issue. I meant a 2000 sys on a network with a XP sys. Any file sharing/printer sharing problems like I had with 2000/98 (setting up user accounts on every 2000 for each 98 computer).

Thanks in advance
Art in KY

On the XP systems use Control Panel, Folder Options, View, and disable "Use Simple file sharing -- recommended". This essentially makes them act like Win2k machines.

(At least as far as networking is concerned.)

I use Second Copy 200 for backups. Don't seem to have any problems with scheduling backups (through the software itself, not Windows). I use 1 machine running Second Copy, and let it "pull" from each machine at a specific time of day, and store the backup files (data directories and my documents only) to the local hard drive of that 1 machine. Then after all machines have finished backing up to the 1 hard drive, I use the same software to make a copy of the backups from the local hard drive to a USB 2.0 hard drive. All seems to work very well! Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back