Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background Picture 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevine

MIS
Jul 21, 2002
US
I am trying to get a background picture (Company Logo) to display at the "Waiting to Login" screen. Where can one control this?

Many Thanks

you have to modify one of the system files for your operating system...
which O/S are you using? There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only a dumb mistake because you didn't ask...

Well, your close.. :) I am looking for the Login Screen background.. not the Startup per say... (Though this is good to know.. )

Ahhh...the blank one.
I misread your post.
I will look into it...we'll see if anyone else has an answer here or not.
I have never seen this done...not with that one.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only a dumb mistake because you didn't ask...

In registry the key would be.
TREE:
HKEY_USERS on Local Machine \.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
DATA:
Wallpaper:REG_SZ:<filename>
Usually the file is winnt256.bmp
Easiest might be to edit this bitmap and cut and paste your logo into it where you'd like or replace it entirely.

If I understand the question that is.

You'll find the Winnt256.bmp and winnt.bmp are hidden in the \winnt directory.

In a similar vein, does anybody know how to set the background displayed between entering the userid and password and the specific users desktop image back to default?

One of my users had their mouse go crazy which changed many desktop settings, including their chosen desktop image. They have reset the desktop back to the way they want it, but on bootup the Rhododendron image is displayed instead of the default pale blue background until the users desktop image is laid over the top (I hope all that makes sense!).

I have searched the registry and can find no reference to the string &quot;rhododend&quot; so I don't know where it is getting this setting from.

Thanks

Turn off Active Desktop, then adjust the picture.

Windows uses a .bmp file for the background, but when you enable Active Desktop, you are allowed to &quot;overlay&quot; a .jpg or similar picture above the .bmp file.

So by turning off Active Desktop, adjusting the picture, then turning Active Desktop back on, you can effectively change the &quot;hidden&quot; background and leave the user defined desktop alone.

Hope this helps. The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - Albert Einstein [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

To add onto the background image issue.

I have W2K and learned the hard way not to use 'set as background' feature while on a web page a couple of months ago. I found that when I did, it worked fine...but if I changed it, the image would reappear on shutdown once the 'new' background dissappeared.

I was annoyed but didn't know how to get rid of that 'old' background image. I even deleted the original file but obviously Windows made a copy and had it stored somewhere nice an hidden.

So, when I had to reinstall the OS again (that's what I get for playing with the registry<G>) I always saved the image before making it a background. But a friend of mine was on my system...and yes, you can guess, he used the 'set as background' option...sigh.

So, where in the registry can I find this and delete it once and for all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back