Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background pic created in Fireworks, What Canvas size? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mldmld

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
I have been using Macromedia Fireworks to create a bacground for my web page. I then insert the gif or jpeg into Dreamweaver as my background image.

I am having a hard time getting the proportions the way I want. Should I use an 800X600 canvas, then bring it in to Dreamweaver. Here's an example, everything is too big.

I want it to look good in 800X600 and 1024X768.
Thanks

Bear in mind that your screen resolution might be 800x600, but when you open a browser the toolbars etc take up part of that size.

As with most things, there is no real set standard as to how much space browser buttons etc will take up. It is up to the user how they set theor browser up.
Therefore you need to decide on a common denominator, and work to that.

You could try making a graphic that has rulers marked with pixels along the top and left sides. Then put that into a web page and see how much of the image is displayed. This will give you an idea of what size to work to.

800x600, equates to about 740x480 visable page after the toolbars etc come into it.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

I think you're going to have trouble with this approach. As Foamcow says, you can (if you want to) detect how big the user's screen is, but you don't know how much space is taken up with sidebars etc. More importantly, you can't tell whether they have their browser set to full screen or not.

Furthermore, they might have a significantly different screen size - 640x480 or 1280x960 or whatever. Trying to detect all that and cope with it by serving up single suitably-sized background images is going to give you a major headache.

So don't do it. Carve your image up into sections and look how you can make the individual bits repeat themselves so that they stretch to fit any screen. The proper way to do this is through absolutely positioned CSS elements, but you'll mostly see it done with tables. As an example, see one of my sites which has similarly rounded top and side bars.

-- Chris Hunt

I didnt read the orignal post properly :)

Yes, to create that page carve it up into "slices" and put them together with a table, or if you are feeling saucy then use CSS.

Definitely.

I am using dreamweaver. What would you all recommend the size be for the page I create?

I generally create pages where the content is about 800px wide (usually a little less to compensate for borders) and then design the page so that it can be any length.
Most people these days have a resoution of at least 800x600.... if they dont then its their tough luck that you page isn't displayed correctly.

If it aint broke, redesign it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back