Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background images alignment, browser sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lajones3

Technical User
Sep 19, 2006
US
I've been working on this site
Basically, they want the webpage to "take up the whole page" as opposed to being centered. How do I do this and take into consideration the different browser sizes and settings. I tried the background image and using .css to align right, but it did not work correctly in Firefox or Safari (only in IE).
So my work around was to use layers and build a "background image" with the text for the links on it. Then use an image map to activate the links. It works ok, but if you resize your browser, it can screw up the layout for the rest of the page.
It only becomes a readability program if you make your browser smaller. If you make it larger it justs stretches out the layout. I set the right alignment to 0 for the "background image" layer, so it would always "fill the screen" and keep the white space off of the right side.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been teaching myself Dreamweaver and have a fair grasp on it.
Please help. Thanks again.
lajones3

...they want the webpage to "take up the whole page"...
Well, they're paying the bills, but I tend to disagree with this requirement.

It only becomes a readability program if you make your browser smaller.
One of my pcs is set at 1024 x 768, one is smaller. But even when the browser is maximized on the larger one, this page displays a horizontal scrollbar. The lastest browser statistics show that about 17% still use 800 x 600 or smaller. See
What was the problem with the background image alignment in Firefox and Safari?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

When I just tried to us css to align right, the image was not all the way to the right when I previewed in Safari or Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back