Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background Image / Image Map 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabsodyinblue

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
Is it possible to have a page where I have a background image which has a fixed position on screen. (using CSS)

that can be used an image Map - or can have areas of the image defined as clickable areas.

i.e.

In the example below is it possible to use the image imagefilename.jpg in a way similar to an image map.
baring in mind that the page can scroll up and down but the background image will remain in a fixed position.

STYLE TYPE="text/css">

#pagebackground { background-attachment: fixed;
background-image: url(imagefilename.jpg);
background-attachment: fixed;
background-position: 0px 0px;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
overflow:auto;

}
</style>

<body bgcolor="#660066" id="pagebackground" border=0 marginheight="0" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0">

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't have thought so - it's a background image so you wouldn't be able to access it as there are elements over it.

You could look at it from a different angle though and use standard image with a fixed position (with a workaround for IE) to keep it on the screen.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks to both ca8msm and Vragabond for taking time to reply.

The link that Vragabond sent

proved very useful, this technique works fine, provided the page is not scrolled.

However I've got round this problem by making the page fixed by added

overflow: hidden;

to the style for the BODY tag , and having the content I wanted displayed in a scrollable inline frame/layer.

The problem I had originally was the design look of the page included a curved arc of the right hand side, that had buttons/circles which followed the line of the arc.

I found the easiest way of creating the arc, was using a background image.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back