Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background and borders for Text boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saracen52

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
Hi. Can anyone tell me please how to set the background colour and add borders to a text box. I use the text tool to drag out a box and type - so far, so good. I fancy a light tint behind the text - but clicking the fill icon and selecting a fill colour changes the colour of the text. Any help much appreciated. I have never used Illustrator before and have to get an advert finished today. Boy, programming is easy compared to this.

If you right click the Pen tool and select the little gizmo that looks like a V (Convert Anchor Point) and click on one of the corners of the text box (where there’s a little box), you’ll get an editable box that you can fill and stroke. Depending on the colors used, you might have to play with transparency to see the text.

The easy way is to just draw a rectangle or other shape, fill it and draw a text box within that. Then resize and align as necessary.

Am I missing something? In this forum you can't reply to a specific message?
Anyway thanks for you answers. I am using Illustrator CS on a PC.

jmgalvin - if I right click the Pen tool - nothing happens. But I discovered the options appear if I click the pen tool and hold the mouse down (most unintuitive - never done that in any other program). Other than that your solution works - thanks very much.

itchybug - thanks for your answer - if I click on a text box anywhere other than over the text - nothing happens - if you get lucky and click on the bounding box - in the appearance palette it says 'Type' and you can't add a stroke or fill to the text box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back