Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backed up W2k domain PDC broken - Need emergency plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidchardonnet

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
FR
Hello,

We have a mixed mode domain (w2k / NT) where we have 2 DC. The Main DC was destroyed and is no longer available for anything.
Fortunately we did a back up on tape.

But now, we can't figure out how we can go back to a normal situation.
I just set up a new server with W2k Server on it, but, what name do i give it? the same as the destroyed one?
I hope to make the new server an exact copy of the old one. Is it possible?

Please can someone give me some help because our entire company is affected by this problem. We don't have any idea of what to do..

Thank you

David

So you have a copy of AD on the other server.
As this is a new installation you could delete the name of the server that died from AD under Domain Controllers. You may need to delete it from within DHCP.
Reload same name same IP and configure it the same if you want as long as your shares are there.
Has your server thats up, has it seized the FSMO roles?

Since you have(had) 2 domain controllers, you should be in Ok shape. You should just seize roles, add and promote your new server, and then remove references to the destroyed DC.

On the surviving domain controller you will want to seize the FSMO roles and verify that the DC is also global catalog server.

Once the roles are seized (verify using dcdiag) you can add the new server to the domain and promote it to a DC, don't name it the same as the destroyed server (wont work anyway). Check to make sure it is replicating properly.

Then remove references of the destroyed DC in active directory.

(yay! shameless advertising. my side business)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back