Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back - up

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoder7588

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
Ever since we upgraded to widows server 2000 I have not been able to get my tape back-up to work at night on its own. I can do a manual back up but not an automatic one. When I look in the log I get a message that reads The operation was not performed because no unused media was available. We use a traven 8gb tape back-up. I would like to be able to get it to work like it did when we had NT on the server without using a back-up software.

It sounds to me like you are either running out of free space on the TAPE you are using...or maybe you have not selected "append to tape" in your backup job. Without selecting Append to tape/media, your backup job is "looking" for a blank tape every night. If it finds a tape with data on it, you receive the "no unused media was available".

I am sure I read somewhere that WIN2000 SP1 introduced a bug the stopped the NTBackup scheduler working, and that there is a Hotfix for it, but I have searched and searched and not found the reference to it.

I have never got the WIN2000 NTBackup scheduler to work and it is *very* irritating!

You also need to create a media pool using the Removable Storage plug-in. A real pain. I have never gotten it to work either.

Brian

How much data are you trying to backup and do you reuse your tapes? What type of backups do you run (normal, incremental etc.). Couple of areas to check. You probably don't want to append data but rather overwrite (since your drive is only 9gig). Check to see that the backup will be performed even if there is network activity(settings tab under "schedule job").

I had a similar problem and found that if you are using a pool you can add the switch /um which will take whatever tape is in the drive and use it whether it has previously been used or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back