Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back Up to another Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettamer

MIS
Mar 17, 2002
US
I would like to have a weekly backup of a server's hard drive onto a spare hard drive. I want the backup to be easily restorable in case the main hard drive fail. BTW, the main hard drive is mirrored. I have not use Veritas, could it be used for this?

Also, has anyone tried to use Ghost to do backups, such as creating an immage of the hard drive once a week? If so, please give some guidance on setting up. Thanks.

Since you run RAID 1 what your could do is this (if you dare)

At a time when you know that your disks are not very havy loaded with I/O pull out one of the active drives in the RAID 1 and replace it with a new drive and rebuild the RAID 1 system on that.
If your raid cntl. supports it you can restart your system on the drive you just pulled out.

We have used this a lot of times, but mostly when we have moved a crashed server to a new box.

/johnny

Get Ghost 2003, it rocks. So easy, a child could use it. The wizard does it all.

Can Ghost 2003 do this when the server is up and running?

/johnny

That is what I would like to do, create an image of a drive, or just a partition where the working files reside, while the server is up. I also like to do it automatically weekly. May be NT backup could be used for the purpose. If there are any better ideas out there, please post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back