Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back up failed do to the transaction logs not existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudflap

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Two days in a row now the the incremental backup has failed to to this error.

"Incremental and differential backups are not possible, because one or more of ther Micorosoft Exchange transaction log files has been delteteds ince the last backup."

If I haven't been deleting them..Whats up???

Thanks
Peter

Sounds like someone may have deleted or hosed up the Echange agent that NetBackup uses to backup the server.

The first place to start looking is on the Xchange server it's self. Look at the Netbackup agent and verify it's there and all configs are correct.

I don't use Exchange....I back up a SQL Server database, but I have a suggestion that might help.

SQL Server has an option to 'truncate logs on checkpoint'. That means that every so often the transaction logs are automatically truncated (deleted). If this option is set, then I can't do differential backups.

I suggest you check to see if Exchange has an option similar to that. If your logs are being truncated or deleted periodically by Exchange itself, that would explain your problem.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back