Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back up exec failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
US
i am getting a message while running back up exec. it will begin backing up after about 10-15 minutes i get the folling error and the back up stops. I have ran all the diag from sony on the tape drive and everything checks out with the drive. the server is a GATEWAY 7400 and here is the message
storage device "SONY 1" reported an erro on a request to write data to media. Error reported:the request could not be performed because of an I/O dveice error
does any one have any ideas
thanks
milton

Try stopping and restarting the Backup Exec services. When I get a similar error, it usually means that BE lost communications with the tape drives.

-SQLBill

Bill
I have started and restarted several times. it will back up a small amount and stop

did you try to update the firmware of your device ?

yes i have updated the firmware for the device this device is only 2 month old and we have had one good back-up which was a partial test back-up that took less than 15 minutes

- Filter the Event Viewer, System logs for ID's 7,9, 11 and 15's >> if you are getting some apply the following:

When performing a backup operation, a device "request to space" and "semaphore timeout" error or, a "SCSI bus timeout" is generated.

or
How to Troubleshoot Event 9 and Event 11 Error Messages

- basically points to "hardware " issues be it with termination, cabling , bad target ID's used (ie. ID's 0,1 or 6 are to be avoided), transferrate is too high, faulty SCSI adapter etc etc

Have you checked for loose cables? Have you...stopped BE services, rebooted the tape library (or server with the tape device), and then restarted the BE services?

-SQLBill

I just solved the same problem with our Sony AIT drive. I finally figured out through trial-n-error that i was suffering buffer under-runs.

I solved this by going into the device's properties/configuration tab on the device tab of Backup Exec and tweaking the buffers (in my case I added two more for a total of 12 buffers and raised the highwater count from 0 to 2. This may be further tweaked once the backups are stabilized but it was the first settings that completed a backup for me.) After a couple iterations, I got complete backups.

Hope this helps!
DuaneN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back