Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back-up Exec and SQL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstangroom

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
GB
i am planning to purchase a Windows 2000 server solely to run a MS SQL 2000 database.

To back up this server I was planning to buy Back-up exec V9.

I've been told that I do not need to buy the SQL agent. Is this correct?

Will backup exec, backup and restore my SQL database properly without the agent?

Basically i need to know what the agent does that the main software doesn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Actually, my knowledge is BE 8.6, so this may be helpful, or may not. In 8.6 you have to buy the agent if you want to do "online" (SQL services running) backups of SQL databses. On the other hand, if you can stop all the SQL server services for the time it takes to backup the files themselves (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data), you don't need the agent. The things is, I imagine that most places can't stop those services long enough to do a complete backup. Also, I have never tried a restore after having done an "offline" (SQL services stopped) backup, so it's anybody's guess as to whether it would work after I restored it. It does backup nicely however! I just don't know what would happen if I had to restore it. Hopefully it would work...

You don't need the agent if you do 'native' SQL Server backups (using the SQL command BACKUP DATABASE). Backup your database to the hard drive and THEN use Backup Exec to 'copy' the backup files to tape.

-SQLBill

Thanks DHoberer & SQLBill your replies have been a great help.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back