Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back-up Exec Agent for Microsoft SQL Server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

MIS
Oct 5, 1999
CA
Anyone else running this?<br>
<br>
It's a very long and twisted story. :-( <br>
<br>
But, it appears ever since we loaded the SQL agent we have had extremely strange things happening to our web server it backs up. Up until 3 weeks ago, we ran Back-up Exec WITHOUT the agent (purchasing forgot to buy it) and things were fine for a couple months. We did manual backups of SQL while we waited for the code to arrive....<br>
<br>
Than, after loading it, every full weekly back-up it appears to crash the server. The incrementals the rest of the week are fine. And, we can't find any obvious error messages for the crashes in SQL or the tape system... But every Saturday at 2am down it goes!<br>
<br>
Any help is appreciated even if it is to say that you run the SQL agent and you are having no problems.<br>
<br>
Ghost<br>

I'll let you know. I just did four seperate installs with the 7.3 Multiserver Backoffice edition using the SQL and Exchange agents. Three of them have not been a problem. The fourth-well this one is another story. From the day I activated the agent it took forever to browse the server to let me select the tables, etc. When I tried to run a test backup during the day (it normally runs at night) the server slowed to a crawl and surely would have crashed had I not aborted the job.<br>All four installs are identical from the servers to the apps. <br>Let me know if you come up with anything on your end.<br>Al&nbsp;&nbsp;

ATCal,<br><br>Thanks for the note.&nbsp;&nbsp;Everything seems to be working fine with our back-ups now and we didn't really do anything.&nbsp;&nbsp;To keep an eye on the job we moved the time of the weekly full back-up to Friday at 7pm (instead of Saturday at 12:15am) so we could babysit it without disturbing sleep.&nbsp;&nbsp;:)<br><br>So the only change we made was to the time it fired off.&nbsp;&nbsp;And, now all is fine.<br><br>It drives me crazy to have a strange problem that had you pulling hair out, than to have it go away for no apparent reason.<br><br>Go figure.<br><br>Ghost

We had a similar problem but we cheated!<br><br>Use SQL Enterprise Manager to schedule database dumps prior to the backup, dump to a folder and back up that folder. Exclude the .dat files that are the physical databases (live) from the backup and Bob's your Uncle.<br><br>We have been doing this for years and all you have to do is restore the dump and then upload into the database...<br><br>:)

Yep.&nbsp;&nbsp;We had the same problem, and we're doing the same thing as Zelandakh.

Either great minds think alike, the software has a glitch that occurs regularly, or you work for me... :)<br><br>We actually find that this method works better when compared to other companies, although Exchange does not work in the same way! If you try to back up the source files, you get failures everywhere.

Zel and Darkman,

We took your advice after we had more problems and it worked fine for a few months.

However, we have had more problems. We have installed a larger tape device (40 Gig), installed the latest patches from Veritas and we think now we might need different than standard drivers...

Anyways, you would think SOMEONE would be able to make tape backup easy. Maybe in a different life... :)

Ghost [sig][/sig]

Please let me know the following and might be able to help:
1) What version and build of Backup Exec?
2) What SP is insatlled on the Backup Server?
3) Do you get a blusescreen and Dr watson error?
4) Do you have a SQL Agent license for eeach SQL server?
5) What version of SQl and what sp?

After following Zel and Darkman suggestion does the issue go away or is the same issue. Waht are the extra problems now?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back