Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back Up Exec 8.5 not respecting media sets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashX1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
US
I have two jobs I run every day. One job backs up half of my servers on Media set: Media Set1. The other job backs up the other half of my servers on Media Set2. I recently put a new tape in the 7 tape library for archiving. I put the tape in its own media set called Archive. I noticed today my Media set job grabbed the archive tape. I looked at my media sets and noticed veritas pulled my new tape out of the original media set. Am I missing something here or is Veritas just the worst product ever made?

Thanks for any help!

Smash,

You may want to check to see what your Media Overwright defaults are set to. Select Tools (menu bar) -> Options -> Media Overwrite. Once open, click on the Help button. The information displayed should provide you with an answer to your question.

M.

Backup Exec isn't worst product ever made, you obviously haven't taken the time to learn how the software works and may have not tried other products. The rest suck more.
What is your "media job"? Does it target that 'Archive' media set?
All jobs target a particular media set. When you move a media (tape) to a media set, the media inherits whatever overwrite protection and append period settings on the media set. Right click your 'Archive' media set and go to Properties. What are the OW and append period settings? Next, make sure the "media job" is targeting the correct media set. On the General tab in Backup Job Properties look for the Destination Media set. Finally, remember that if you have set Tools|Options|Media Overwrite to overwrite Scratch media before overwriting Recyclable media (the default), the overwrite job will look for Scratch media first. If BE cannot find any overwritable media in Scratch then it looks in the media set it is targeting for an overwritable media (ie. media where the overwrite protection has expired). If it cannot find any overwritable media there, then it prompts you "Please insert overwritable media".
An append job will look to the targeted media set for an appendable media. If BE cannot find appendable media in the targeted media set, the job turns into an overwrite job and follows the rules of an overwrite job as outlined above. In a loader if you want to be absolutely sure that a particular job is going to pull a particular tape, partition your slots, follow instructions in the following technote: You can then target a partition as you would a device. The slot partition is a virtual device. The technote has screenshots which I think someone like you needs.

READ THE F'ING MANUAL!!! Whether you purchased BE and received a CD or you downloaded it, look for the BEAdmin manual in .pdf form OR download it from support.veritas.com
Good luck!

Marverick,

You are correct! My overwrite options were set to grab whatever tapes it needed. Since I always keep media set 1 in one drive and media set 2 in another I have never had the problem. This was the first time I added a tape from a different media set at the same time. I was a little frustrated at first because I couldn't find what I was looking for in the manual.

Thanks!

I keep getting this message on every back up.I have overwrite protection set to none. But it always prompts me with this message. What should i do?

Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well.

Altos,

First, your query has nothing to do with this thread. So, you should start your own.

Second, there are lots of posts about the error you are seeing. Have you done a search of this forum?

Lastly for now:

Did this media EVER work?

Did you check the tape itself to ensure the write-protect tab is in the unlocked position?

Did you Inventory the tape(s) when you put them in the tape device?

Are you using an autoloader or a single tape device?

Please start a new thread on your question.

-SQLBill

First, your query has nothing to do with this thread. So, you should start your own.
1) Whatever

Second, there are lots of posts about the error you are seeing. Have you done a search of this forum?
2) Thats how i found this post

Lastly for now:

Did this media EVER work?
3) yes, like a charm

Did you check the tape itself to ensure the write-protect tab is in the unlocked position?
4) sure did. its not

Did you Inventory the tape(s) when you put them in the tape device?
5) Is this necessary every time?
Are you using an autoloader or a single tape device?
6) Single

Please start a new thread on your question.
Lastly for now:
Mr. Bill, I am very sorry I invaded your postal waters.
I also would like to apoligize to any other forum member that may have been insulted by my post. I was truly under the impression that this was a Veritas Backup Exec forum.
This was my first visit to this site and was not immpressed.The saddest part to this is that Mr. Bills weak attempt to help did not even shine the slightest bit of light on my dilemma. I bet he was picked on as a young boy and has to anonymously lash out at new posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back