Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

back-up error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncFair

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
What is this? MS Support Knowledgebase did not turn up any matches.

Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such
as CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the
statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation
operation is completed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3023) Backup or restore
operation terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013). The
step failed.

Thanks,
Dunc

I'm not clear on your process. Are you running a DTS package? Are you executing T-SQL code?

If you are running a DTS package, is it possible that some steps have been set up to run in parallel rather than serially? That could cause the error you've encountered. Terry L. Broadbent
faq183-874 contains some tips and ideas for posting questions in these forums. Please review it if you have time.

Sorry, I should have replied to this myself at this point. The problem was that both Transaction log backups and differential backups were scheduled to run on the hour.

When I pushed the Transaction log backup time schedule start time back ten minutes the errors disappeared.

Thanks anyway for the response, and again my apologies for not posting a solution earlier.

Dunc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back