Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back up a remote database

Status
Not open for further replies.

maanton

Programmer
Mar 27, 2005
Ive just installed mssql 2005 on my pc and I need your help on backing up a database that is on a remote server.
I ve connected to the remote server using the Management Studio. Im accessing the database and Im getting the backup, but unfortunately I see that the back up is being saved on the remote server.

How can I backup the database saving it on my machine?

Thanks in advance

If using the GUI just enter the full UNC path to where you want to save the file. If using the query tool and using the full BACKUP DATABASE command use the full UNC path instead of the local disk.

By using the popup to select the folder interactivly you must select a drive local to the server to backup to.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Im trying to change "destination" by clicking "add" and the following error occurs:

Code:
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

Property BackupDirectory is not available for Settings 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Settings'. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

Sounds like the account that the SQL Server is running under doesn't have access to the remote file share.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Actually, the remote server is the host of my website. Is it possible that they arent giving permission to backup the database?

Yes, it is very likely. It's one of two issues that I can think of.

1. By their agreement with you, they probably have to be able to restore the database. Therefore, they need to have a valid backup 'chain'. If you do a full backup, it invalidates any differential or transaction log backups they do.

2. Their agreement with you might not allow backups so you can't take it to someother site.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Their agreement with you might not allow backups so you can't take it to someother site.
Is that possible? Files and databases arent considered as the property of their owner?
They are "hosting" after all...

Like I said, check their agreement with you. I have seen hosting web sites that have that statement. They don't want you using their system to build something nice and fancy and then taking it somewhere else.

When I was 'shopping' for a site to host my wife's website, I saw a few places that have that agreement. Basically, it's a 'you developed it with our resources, so you will keep it here forever'.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back