Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back Office Exchange 5.5 Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmarrufo

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
US
Greetings all,

I have the following problem:

My Back Office Server (Windows NT 4.0) got crash on the weekend. It got into a continuous reboot loop and I couldn’t get it back on-line. I had to install NT in a different directory to restart the system again. My data was recovered as well as my Exchange Folders but I couldn’t get Exchange to work.

I installed in a fresh HDD Back Office Server (same version, in fact, same software) and recreated everything. Copied the data to the new HDD and I even copied the Exchange folders into a directory (old Exchange).

Here are my questions:

How can I get my old Exchange data to get copied into the new one? Is there any procedure or tool to do that? I tried stopping Exchange and copying the new data into a separate folder and put the old one in place but Exchange doesn’t want to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

If you have a good backup I suggest the following:
1. Re-install the server as it was prior to the crash in terms of partions and %systemroot% locations.
2. Restore the backup in terms of files and folder and (system state - i have forgotten how we used to call it in NT)
3. Restore exchange directory and information store if you did backup them if you did not go to 4
4. Run an integrity check using ISINTEG

You can in fact get a good description of the recovery for an exchange 5.5 on the CD's Online Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back