Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baby Computer, 1956 vintage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwydionM

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
GB
ON SHOW in London on 4 December, fresh from a debut in Paris, was a new American electronic digital computer, the Burroughs E 101. This machine is no bigger than a desk, and it is in fact operated by someone sitting at its keyboard. In size, cost and performance it fills a gap between the hand-operated, mechanical "adding machines" on the one hand, and the full-scale electronic computers on the other.

This is from New Scientist - classic articles from the last 50 years.

Seeing where we've come from gives us a better idea of where we might be going.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

Which looked like this!!!

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

I remember using a dusty, more or less forgotten one of these in around 1973:

The one I used actually had a hard drive:

As well as a card read/punch. For heavy-duty printing one punched cards and then took them over to a Model 407 Accounting Machine with an 80-80 Listing plugboard inserted.

Bet they still ran faster than a P4 2.ghz running Vista :)

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

1620 article said:
The console typewriter was a modified Model B1, which typed at only 10 characters per second. (This typewriter had a very 'nasty' habit of breaking off its "0" hammer and throwing it across the room in the middle of a long core dump!)

[rofl]

Just my 2¢
-There once was a man from Peru
Who wanted to write a Haiku
but...

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back