Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BAB 11.5 and Bar Code Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMisio

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
BE
Hi All,

We use ArcServe BrightStor 11.5 within our organisation. I will be implementing Media Pools along with bar coded tapes.
Can you please recommend any bar code readers and software to store the tapes information. The tapes will be kept in the safe away from the main backup servers. We need to be able to scan the tape and retrieve the information i.e. the date and the server.

Thank your for any replies.

Michael

I'm not sure it works that way.

the barcode reader is part of the tape library and the library gives the inventory based off the barcodes to the ARCserve Tape Engine, which then passes them on to the Database engine which uses them for serial #s.

Hi Davidmichael,

This is not what I meant.
Because the bar code labeled tapes are more difficult for people to read as opposed to regular labels i.e. Tuesday 21st.
Once we start using bar code labeled tapes, we need to be able go to the safe, scan the tape with the bar code reader and be able to tell which day or server the tape comes from. Obviously this would have to be entered to the database manually, but we don’t mind that. This is just for the inventory purposes.

Thanks for your replay.

Michael.

Are your backup jobs GFS rotations and do you have tape libraries or just the tape unit.

Assuming that you have a library with barcode reader it would seem best practice to let brightstor do its thing in terms of serial numbers against barcodes and then when the tapes are removed from the library scan them with a manual reader entering the information into a manual database.

Alternatively you could use media management and set up an offsite rotation scheme, im only just scratching the surface of MM myself but it does generate predictive media reports to tell you what tapes need to be loaded, it may also have the ability to generate media reports with scannable barcodes which you could then use once you are at the safe..

Michael,
The barcode label on the tape should also contain a readable identifier, along with the barcode of the same information. Ours are 3 letter - 3 numbers...ie ABC001. Once you know which tape you are looking for, you can use that identifier to find the required tape.

For example if a restore is needed, you determine which tape is needed, say ABC012, and then visually check each tape for the label ABC012.

Greg

Hi Greg,

It's very helpful.
Thanks a lot.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back