Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B179 on Avaya 4500 switch Screen Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesW77

Vendor
Nov 20, 2011
System details:
IP500V2 running 8.0.66
Switch:
Avaya 4548GT-PWR
HW:20 FW:5.3.0.3 SW:v5.6.5.012
Phone:
B179: v2.3.9

Customer has three B179s, and after running for about 24 hours they will start freezing at random intervals. This doesn’t happen right at the 24-hour mark but generally starts happening around then. It is difficult to use Monitor since it is never clear exactly what time they freeze. The B179s will become completely unresponsive and appear to be working until you try to use one of them. We have swapped out everything except the control unit, which is my next step, but I am doubtful this will fix the issue. So I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

The B179s do not have any special configuration except they operate on a voice VLAN. The IPs are static. I’ve tried using power bricks instead of PoE from the switch and PoE was shut off on the ports they were connected to while the power bricks were in place. We have taken out a new B179 which did the same thing. I’ve recently replaced the Avaya switch. Firmware is all updated. The one time I was able to narrow down in monitor where one froze. All I see is the below entry in Monitor

747475227mS SIP Rx: UDP 192.168.100.9:5060 -> 192.168.100.1:5060

I will see this entry every so often until it becomes more and more infrequent. Then just disappears. And the B179 screen is frozen and unresponsive until rebooted. Any helpful insight is appreciated.

Best Regards,

-JW

I would try connecting one directly to the systems LAN/LAN 2 port (whichever is spare) via a POE brick and see what happens, I have heard of odd issues using the Avaya switches, take them out the loop :)

I had a similar problem a while back with the same release, different switches. The phone would just freeze up and a reboot brought it back.
Bring it down to v2.3.0 - that fixed it for me.

Thank you both.

Nurban: Not sure what version the phones came with but this issue was happening prior to upgrading them. But I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

amriddle01: I will try to isolate the phones and take the switches out of the loop. Both NICs are currently in use so I'll have to make some changes first. I will let y'all know.

I tried downgrading to both 2.3.0 and 2.3.1, multiple times, and after it reboots it still shows 2.3.9 is on there...

Disregard my last post. Had a DUH moment...

Okay... Disregard my last post disregarding the previous post. I can't seem to downgrade these phones. Keeps coming back up showing 2.3.9 firmware application. That's it I quite! Be back tomorrow.

UPDATE - I recently replaced the control unit, and connected the B179s to an unmanaged switch on the second NIC of the control unit. So far, the B179s have not frozen in this configuration. I will be reconnecting them to the switch to see if it is a switch issue, or the control unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back