Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]XCOM from Unix box to share drive[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitz80

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am currently implementing a new process that works as follows:

a file will be generated by an external development company and sent to my team's Unix box daily. The file will be called the same name everyday. (i.e. file1). The process by which to transfer the file from the external company to our Unix box has been set up. I now need to set up an XCOM job that will transfer the file on a daily basis from our Unix box to a given internal share drive location. However, since the file will be called the same name every day, I need the XCOM job to also do one of the following, to avoid the files being over-written daily:

(a) as part of the XCOM job, rename the file to today's date and then transfer it to a given share drive location.

OR

(b) as part of the XCOM job, generate a folder (entitled today's date) into which the file is placed daily.

Is it possible to do one of the above, and if not, then can someone please recommend an alternative. I am not skilled in Unix therefore I'm not too sure.

Thanks.
Niamh

You could do something like this

mv file1 file1.$(date +'%m%d%y')

then mv again to the shared drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back