Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]Netgear/XP Wireless Connection Problem...[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulabelle

Technical User
Mar 16, 2005
GB
Greetings all

I'm running a brand new Dell machine on XP and have just installed a Netgear WG311 wireless adapter. At first I encountered the problem of the Netgear utility not being compatible with SP2 but have managed to sort that by installing only the driver from the CD.

Now the problem is that I can't connect to the network! When I choose 'Show Wireless Networks' it sees the network (and knows its name) and is also show excellent signal strength, but attempting to connect is fruitless - I keep getting 'Network is now out of range. Refresh the list and try again'. I feel like I have checked and unchecked every box in trying to configure the settings but have had no luck in connecting at all. One other PC and a laptop are connecting ok.

All suggestions gratefully received!

I recommend downloading the most recent drivers from netgear's support website.

I had connection problems with my Netgear WG311v2 card after upgrading my desktop to WinXP (fully patched). I could obtain a connection on boot, but this would drop within 5 minutes and I then experienced symptoms similar to those that you describe.

In the end the only way I could keep connected was by disabling Windows management of the wireless connection and using the latest Netgear configuration / management utility (downloaded from the website).

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back