Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]ERROR M1004 DELL INSPIRON 2650[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzaqman2005

Technical User
Jul 12, 2005
US
I get the following during boot up after I hear the two beeps;

Phoenix Bios 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-2001
Phoenix Technologies Ltd
All Rights Reserved
Inspiron 2650 series BIOS version A13
CPU = Intel Pentium 4 mobile CPU 1.60 GHz
640k System RAM Passed
254M Extended RAM Passed
512k Cache SRAM Passed
System BIO Shadowed
Video BIO Shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: Hitachi DK23DA-20
Atapi CD-ROM: Samsung CD ROM SN-124
Mouse Initialized
Fatal Error:
An error has been detected with your system.
Please call DELL support with error code # M1004

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to setup

I have tried everything! I cant call DELL support because I bought this laptop second hand and do not have a tag #.
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Some dell laptops have a diagnosis boot menu...
Lets see by performing the following steps:

[ol]
[li]Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to confirm the system is completely powered off[/li]
[li]If you have a "fn" key, try holding it down (and don't let go) at power up. If this applies to your machine, continue with next step... If not let us know and I'll continue to search elsewhere. [/li]
[li]If this works, the BIOS splash screen appears and the PSA diagnostics begin (do not press any keys while the test is running unless prompted to do so). [/li]
[li]Document & Report back any error codes/messages that are received[/li]
[li]After the pre diagnostics finish, you will come to a diagnostics menu[/li]
[li]Select the Express Test from the menu[/li]
[li]Document & Report back any error codes/messages that are received[/li]
[/ol]
X

Home from work and my "fn" button doesnt do the job. I hold it down when I boot up and still here the beeps. Then it goes to the Fatal Error:
An error has been detected with your system.
Please call DELL support with error code # M1004

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to setup
and doesnt move. I have to let go of the fn button hit the f1 button and then it boots.

This is horrible man!

Found this site that claims to have a fix. Havn't tried it personally sooooo..... Use at your own risk and good luck!

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Tried it...doesnt work.

Oh well thanks for the help anyway.

Now I am having a problem with the power and charging. So as I was reading up on it, it turns out that the motherboards are prone to die on the Inspirons and DELL had a recall on them a few years back (2002) so I guess I am out of luck. I bought it second hand and cant even report it...what a bummer!

Oh well......

Thanks for the help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back