Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]Crystal 8.5 Design Mode Runs Stored Procedure???[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duquane

Programmer
Nov 15, 2005
US
How do I keep the associated stored procedure from firing in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 when attempting to modify the design of a report? Crystal does not seem to be playing 'nice' with the other kids.

I can understand it would fire if I clicked refresh data or actually attempted to run the report, but in 'design' mode?

What is causing this........?

Thanks in advance for the assist here.

Notice that in "design mode" you have two tabs, design and the preview tab, if you are in the preview tab and are making changes, it will fire.

Stay in the Design tab.

-k

The preview tab was not visible. I was in the design mode. If you do a 'set location' does this fire the s.p.? I was pointing at a new stored procedure and was in the process of pulling the fields into the report and removing other obsolete fields. I had not clicked 'refresh' button or anything that I thought was connected to an s.p. firing.

When, or how, does Crystal make a connect to the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database?

Baffled in Santa Barbara.......!

Yes, Set Location will, it needs to verify your datasource.

If you have refreshed a data source, of course it has to verify that it has the same structure, and the only way to do that with an SP is to run it, a table doesn't require that data be returned because the structure is exposed.

If there are new fields in the SP, the same things applies.

As a temp fix during design, hardcode a limit on the where clause of the SP until you're readyto start testing data.

-k

Ok, thanks - this is valuable info. One more, if I may.... If you have clicked 'Set Location' does it merely fire the s.p. and wait until it finishes, or does it somehow enqueue or hold onto this connection longer than the 3 or 4 seconds this thing runs in Query Analyzer?

We are getting locked up with other processes attempting to run - even though the 'nolock' option is being used on the 'From' clause on a core table in SQL Server 2000 database.

Thanks much......!

The connection will remain open, however no activity is occurring after the SP fires. However don't confuse Query Analyzer performance with ODBC in Crystal.

Sounds like you need some dba assistance. The NOLOCK should be preventing most other processes from waiting.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back