Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]Cannot access bios or boot sequence on startup[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajduk1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2005
GB
Hi
I have a dell latitude which is all USB no PS2 The PC boots (sometimes) but although on the post I get F2 to setup, F12 boot sequence, as the keyboard and mouse are USB the drivers do not load until after the choice exits. There have been a couple of times recently when the PC partially boots but stays at the DELL splash screen and goes no further, and as I said I can do nothing other than reboot and hope it kicks over into the full OS load.

Please help

Thanks in advance
AJD

AJD

Are you using the originally supplied Dell keyboard? I've found that non-Dell replacement keyboards sometime don't allow user access before the Windows drivers are loaded.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

as the keyboard and mouse are USB the drivers do not load until after the choice exits.
the BIOS does not load drivers, they are build in...

have you tried to clear the CMOS (marked as CLR_CMOS or similar), if your board does not have that jumper, then take out the battery for a few minutes, the longer the better...

as there is a possibility that your CMOS has gotten scrambled...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

i had that issue (boot hangs) when the cd/dvd drive wasnt seated propper, unplug and put it back in, that might help.

I realise the BIOS does not load the drivers, its just that this is the 1st PC I have had that has this issue Cannot access the bios because the keyboard is unusable until the bios has loaded.

AJD

AJD

Repeat... "Are you using the originally supplied Dell keyboard?".

Have you tried the suggestions proffered by BadBigBen and Lemon13?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Sorry for the delay
No I am using a wired logitech keyboard. Just got home I will have to try the other 2 tomorrow (sorry)
Ajd

AJD

No need for apology... Just didn't want you to miss the suggestions!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

another question:

what else have you plugged into USB ports of the PC?

I'd start there, by unplugging everything but the KBD and the Mouse...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Usb devices
Scanner
Plotter
Printer
External Hard drive
Graphics Tablet
Keyboard
Mouse

I have unplugged all as suggested still the same.

NB This was all done when the PC was playing up Got it started yesterday 3rd-4th try after giving up night before.

This issue does not occure all the time only once in a while but when it does happen I can go all day without PC and I do need to work on it :)

Unplugged hard drive(SATA) re-seated no change same with CD drive .
One thing, when I was getting the problem I noticed the hard drive light would come on for about 3-4 seconds then go off, then I would get the DELL splashscreen and F2 to setup F12 boot sequence prompts, it was as if the PC was pausing for the input (as it does) but when it did not recieve an imput i.e. F2 or F12 instead of carrying on with the loading it simply hung there.

Hope this helps

AJD

AJD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back