Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AX100 HBA WWN is not long enough ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwavoo

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Hello everyone. I have an AX100 and am trying to attach my first server to it (Point to point at this stage). in Navisphere express, I am required to enter the WWN of the HBA im using in the server, and by default the entry is shown as 01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01 (16 x 01). my HBA only has 8 Hex Pairs, so im sure I dont have the correct info.

Does anyone know what I should put into this field to pad it out?

you will need to use both the World Wide Node Name and the World Wide Port Name together. For example;
01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:01:02:01:01:01:01:01:01

Ok, sorry for my ignorance on this, but Where do I get those from. I only have the WWN of the HBA in the server What are the other things you mention, and where will I find them?

how do you get the WWN? note the following:

WW[red]N[/red]N: World Wide [red]Node[/red] Name

WW[red]P[/red]N: World Wide [red]Port[/red] Name

if you have windows, use the utility that comes with the HBA (at least emulex and qlogic have it). if it is linux, see the /proc/scsi folder.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

Oh. I was hoping to configure this and any LUN assignments before I install an OS on the PC. is this not possible?

???? and why you want to do that? do you want to install the OS inside the AX100? is that supported by EMC?

Chacal, Inc.

Probably not. Gotta be worth a try though isnt it?

hehehe... I did lots of things without the EMC's aproval. it's up to you..

ussualy, the WWNN and WWPN is differentiated for the first byte, e.g.:

WWPN: 10:00:00:00:aa:bb:cc:dd
WWNN: 20:00:00:00:aa:bb:cc:dd

note that the only difference is the 10 and 20.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

This is only a test box anyway. the Ax100 only has 3 disks in it at this time, so I wont be putting anything critical on there just now.

Thanks for the advice though. Ill have plenty to get on with tomorrow now.

You will need to have the OS installed so it can register itself with the AX100. This way you will not have to find all this info or manually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back