Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

awe on sql 2005 on win 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2001
US
I have a win 2003 box running sql 2005 enterprise edition. I have the sql server set to use the 16 gig it has and have awe configured. However I have queries which tell me I have hit memory limit. I have this in the boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

is this incorrect

is this a 32 or 64bit install?
If it is 32 bit you need to enable AWE if it is 64 bit you don't need it.

- Paul
- Database performance looks fine, it must be the Network!

You need to tell Windows to use the /3GB and /PAE switches in the boot.ini. That's in addition to having AWE enabled.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I now have the following for my boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE /NoExecute=OptIn

This is the same I have for a sql 2000 server with 16 gig and it is running with the 16 gig being utilized. Is there a way with a dbcc command I can see if sql 2005 is using the 15 gig I have it set to?

You can use Perfmon to see how much memory SQL is using. Check the "SQL Server: Memory Manager: Total Server Memory (KB)" counter.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

[noevil]

I show only 2568448 bytes 2 gig. the machine has 16 gig physical. When I run sp_configure my memory shows
12288 meg as configured.

Try adding the /3GB switch to the boot.ini and rebooting.

You did reboot after adding the /PAE switch correct?

Denny

[noevil]

You can put it at the end.

Denny

[noevil]

boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB

Try changing the timeout from 0 to 30, and manually selecting the correct line from the list. You "MAY" need to edit the default line as well.

Denny

[noevil]

Thanks, so the /3GB where it is at is fine? I have looked forever at several MS articles, but there seems no clear reference to the /3GB switch

Put the 3GB in, total memory unchanged, calling MS in the morning

Have the same problem. How did you fix it?

Thanks...

"A long life is when each day is full and every hour wide!"
(A Jewish Mentor)
M. [hourglass]

Rebooted, the last boot.ini file was right and I made sure awe was set on and the memory correct. I now have 15 gig of memory. When you run permon/sql memory, what is your target server memory showing?

The target memory is 3913259.

I am not sure if the SAs rebooted the server. They were suppose to but it might be the problem...

I guess I will be back if they did... [bigglasses]

"A long life is when each day is full and every hour wide!"
(A Jewish Mentor)
M. [hourglass]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back