Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVSync Manager problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcw

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
GB
I have seen this problem in newsgroups before, but with no successful solutions, and I've been right through McAfee support options to no avail:

I have a win 2K pro system with VirusScan 5.21.1 installed and the latest superDAT. The problem is that the AVSync Manager will not start at boot or by manually trying to start the service, and as a result, VirusShield will not operate. I get an error in the application log "AVSynMgr error: 126, VirusScan has been stopped due to a missing or outdated Avsynch.dll library. Please reinstall the product." and an error "The AVSync Manager service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found." in the system log, and if you try and start the vshwin32.exe manually, you get an error "Could not get scan options".
I have tried complete uninstalls (manual and automatic), reinstalls with admin privaledges and as administrator, updated windows and other software, but the same problem still exists. I can't recall exactly when the problem started, but I do have IIS 5 running so I don't know if this could have an impact. Anyways, any clues or enlightenment would be very much appreciated as I'm at a dead loss.
Thanks.

Hello,

my problem was solved on Windows NT 4.0 by:

1. Deinstalling virusscanner + Reboot

2. installing SP6a + reboot

3. running msicuu.exe (Windows Installer CleanUp Utility for Windows NT)

4. running instmsiw.exe (windows installer 2.0) + reboot
5. Installing McAfee 4.51 SP1

Mr. Palmer,

Clearly, this is going to become a very active thread.
Clearly, you know what you're doing.
Thank you for the research you have done and the information you have provided.

Thank God someone knows what they're doing because NAI sure as hell does not.

Thanks Oliver Again,

Your advice (Sep 1, 2002) was fantastic!. I had this problem runining Windows NT 4.0 wokstation on my home PC and it fixed the problem!. After reading the whole page now I understand what caused the problem. I installed the Installer 2.0(this is the culprit!!) for Win NT (because it was required by my PC after I tried to Install Ghost). Once I did it, I installed Ghost without problems, however, after I reboot the PC this msg came out:
"At least One Service Or Driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer event log for details".

And in the Event Viewer showed:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 29/04/2003
Time: 12:53:54
User: N/A
Description:
The AVSync Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.
I unisntalled and Installed VirusScan 5,1 many times.. I modify the registry (deleting and adding entries), but nothing seemed to work.. until I saw your advice, and it woks fime for me!!.... thanks Oliver! :)

CanguroPeru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back