Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avoiding Win 98 logon screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKsempra

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
I have 3 PC's on a home network (2 win 98, 1 Me - to share files, printers & cable modem) and have not been able to avoid the logon screen when the PC's startup. I have tried erasing passwords, deleting all *.pwl files, restarting (clicking OK the next time wiht the password blank) and still continue to get the logon screen (It does create a new .pwl file each time). I do not have NT logon. My kids don't always hit "enter" (to log on with the blank password) and sometimes hit "escape" - which prevents me getting access to the main PC/file server. 1. How can I avoid the logon yet still have network access? 2. Is there any way to get network access to a pc that wasn't logged on without having to reboot it?

An easy workaround is to use the TweakUI utility from the Microsoft site or the Win98 CD. There's an option to automatically login, as it enters the name and password for you.

Open Networking properties (right click Net Neighborhood, properties), select Primary logon, change it to "Windows logon".
restart. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech (Instructor) May 10, 2001
Open Networking properties (right click Net Neighborhood, properties), select Primary logon, change it to "Windows logon".
restart.
=====================
Hello, I was reading over your reply and I too tried the above steps, but the Pop-up window will not go away. My son accidentially caused that Pop-up Windows Network Window to pop-up and now I have to type in the password. Now do I get rid of that pop-up Window in Win98
so I won't see that window anymore when I boot up windows?

I simply want to be able to have Window98 boot directly to
the DESK TOP like it was doing before.
thank you.

missy

do a search for *.pwl files. delete them all. If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Hey Bk
I found this at (Downloads > Utilities > Desktop >). Hope it helps:

"Windows Administrator: Are you tired of being prompted for your Windows log-on, even though you're not on a network? This utility can eliminate that irritant, and it can do a whole lot more."

skidoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back