Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avoiding the logon window on secured Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyCole

Programmer
Jul 12, 2000
GB
Hi all

Does anyone know how, or even if its possible, to prevent the logon window of a secured database? Up to now all DBs I've developed use the typical FE/BE split DBs with a custom workgroup MDW to determine the User's privileges. The DBs are used on a NT/Win2K network and all Users need to logon to the network. What I'd really like is to use the API call to get the User's logon UserName and use this to determine their privileges from the workgoup group membership.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated

TIA
Andy

Check the "command line" options. You CAN include the wrkGrp, User and PWD args.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks Michael but I'd need to to get the User's logon ID before calling the Access app using the command line args approach. The other 'complication' is that the Users' are forced to change their logon password every so many days and they expect the Access DB logon password to be 'automatically' changed for them. If I could skip the Access logon but still remain secured at a 'User Level', I could get the User's logon ID using a simple few lines of code within the Access app and then use the usual group membership routines to determine privileges. This would avoid needing a application based password. I suppose I could use the Access logon window with no passwords being entered but this just looks a bit 'messy'

Andy

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

If the db(s) are being run under NT, you might try 'trusting' the NT security model to get the logon. If you force the db(s) logons to be identical, you may be able to get aeay w/ a 'universal' password and use the combo of the NT logon and the universal password to have the access secutity / permissions control the user level capabilities. Some trepidation about using it myself, but it at least could be worth investigation.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

I would be interested if you find a solution.

I have just posted a related query. I want to run a stored procedure from VB. The user already has an ADO connection to the database however to run the stored procedure the user must reenter the Access login password. This doesn't work for me because the procedure is not a login feature.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back