Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avoid reload of images in gridview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynest

Programmer
Jun 22, 2000
GB
Hi

VS 2005/ SQL Server 2005

I have a page containing gridview control which shows a product thumbnail image and an order qty which the users can chage using the standard edit/update/cancel

Each time the users update a quantity, all the product images are reloaded (they are stored in sql server) which creates irritating delays

Any tips on how to avoid reload of images please?

Thanks

yes I am using a handler to populate gridview with images, but I am not convinced the browser is caching them as the page takes a long time to load with a slow wifi connection which is what some of our shop customers are using, is anything required to activate browser caching?

Would you know if Ajax has anything which might help with this?

Thanks

profile the application to find your bottleneck on the page. dotTrace is a great tool for this. Once you quantify the problem you can fix it.

I am not convinced the browser is caching them as the page takes a long time to load with a slow wifi connection which is what some of our shop customers are using
if it's only slow for wifi users then it sounds like an infrastructure issue, not a coding issue.

how the images are loaded into the gridview can also make a difference on whether the browser can cache the images.

if you're using a gridview I would also question the efficiency of the sql statement (are you pulling only the columns required?), the amount of data returned (paging) and the size of viewstate. If you view the source of the webpage look for the hidden field named __VIEWSTATE (or something like that), then look at it's value. If you can reduce this value you can drastically increase the throughput of the request/response.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back