Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avoid entering extension when checking voicemail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazonic

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2005
US
The boss is irritated that when he presses the Voicemail button we have programmed on his phone he must then enter his extension. I've been tinkering with shortcodes and pauses - tried dialing ?U,<his extension>#, but it still goes through the menu. Is there a way to set it up so all he has to do is hit the Vmail button on his 4406 and it goes right to a password prompt for his mail box?

I have already added his cell phone to his trusted numbers list so when he checks from the outside all he does is hit # and his messages start playing. Very slick.

Thanks in advance.

Just program a button for Advanced -> Voicemail -> VoicemailCollect and leave the telephone number field blank. Make sure his extention is added as a trusted number and you'll be all set. HTH.

I just re-read and noticed that you want him to get prompted for a password. Sorry I missed that. I am not sure about bypassing just the entension entry. I do not know of a way to do that. Sorry for the quick trigger.

If he just hits the # key on his phone, it should go straight to the password propt.

Melmac, thanks. I think if we could get right to the messages without the password, that would work too. I tried your setup and it drops the line and hangs up when I hit the vmail button. His extension is already added to the SourceNumbers, with a V in front.

Cobragb, that's easy enough. This might placate him, and at the very least will keep him off me until I get something strung together.

Thanks to both of you.

baz

We've had IP Office for less than a week so forgive me for not knowing where to check that. Can you find out in Manager? I watched the tech who did the install upgrade the firmware on our unit(s), so I'm assuming it's the latest.

Yeah, it's weird - pick up the handset, push the vmail button (after I programmed it) and the green SA light goes off and there is just nothing.

If using voicemail pro and only want one extension to not have to enter password setup

1) Source number V203 (where 203 is the extension)

2) Add the user in voicemail pro and add a collect point to that user. Attach a getmail to the start point and have the specific tab set to callers mailbox

You can get your firmware version from the IP Office password screen. It tells you next to the name of the IP Ofice unit.

It sounds to me that bazonic hit the nail on the head in his first post. Under source numbers in the bosses user profile enter his extension preceed by the a capitol V (i.e V203). Next go into his button programming sheet and program a button for VOICEMAIL COLLECT. If you dont want him to have to enter a telephone number leave the number field blank otherwise enter ?U for the ext and password prompts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back