Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avira free update

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
I don't know if this is just a policy change from Avira?
But after this mornings program update, It wanted me to install a toolbar, i didn't, and now the Icon shows incomplete operation (The umbrella is closed).

I think this is because the Web guard feature is not working because I didn't install the toolbar.

If so this is a bit naff of them, is anyone else seeing this?

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

I've not been using it myself much latetly. I still have it on a desktop at home. If I remember, I'll take a look and see how it acts when I get home. I had gotten tired of it being the "free" version, and then getting a pop-up at EVERY update to buy the paid version.

I do think Avira is a strong AV, but I thought it simpler to just go with Microsoft Security Essentials, personally. It just sits there and works - which is all I'd want the AV to do - I want to be able to scan on demand, but I do NOT want annoying pop-ups. You'd think any modern application would realize how annoying pop-ups are.

I think that if a company wants to "advertise" their "for sale" products within their free products, they ought to do so WITHIN the application - NOT separate pop-ups.

Anyway, I'll see if I can test it this evening. [blush]

OK, here is the deal, AVIRA wants to install the ASK toolbar...

after many clicks on the X of the small window, it no longer asks to install (on my system at least) and the umbrella is fully open...

it seems that ONLY some users are experiencing this problem and there is an easy fix available...

Online protection inactive after update

to read more about the update (SP2) of Avira see the following:

Service Pack 2 for Avira AntiVir v10 (Update)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Update:

after posting the above, it seems that AVIRA has fixed this problem with an update (30 June)...

and AVIRA states that at no time was the AV functionality turned off, the closed umbrella was due to the fact that the WEB GUARD was not active (or installed)...

NOTE: WEB GUARD will only function with the ASK TOOLBAR installed... uninstalling the toolbar would disable the Web Guard functionality....

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Yup spotted and manually applied the fix, shortly after posting here (its OK Now), but cheers for the feedback guys!

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back