Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.avi movie file

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiwicked

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
im trying to play an .avi file in my dvd player, but it doesnt recognize it

i can play .mpg movie files in there with no problem

so my question is, is there a program or a way that i can change the video format of the .avi files to .mpg

thanks for any advice

Windows Media Player 9 can handle .avi files. Which version do you have?

Use AVS Video Converter, works extremely well, can convert almost any video format to any other. Regards

Jurgen

jurgen

where can i get this AVS Video Converter?

fbiwicked,
When you say "in my DVD player" are you talking about a standalone set-top DVD player, or are you referring to your DVD-ROM drive in your PC?

Most standalone DVD players out there only recognize MPEG VCD, MPEG-2 SVCD, or MPEG-2 DVD when it comes to video files. Your PC, on the other hand, should have no problems playing .AVI files assuming you have the right codecs installed. Newer AVI files are often encoded in the DIVX or XVID codec.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

cdogg
ya...a stand alone one
the avs video converter program works great, save one problem

they have their logo across the middle of the screen for the entire movie

:(

dad 200uk2000,

i tried the Aare AVI to VCD DVD SVCD MPEG Converter Pro v.4.0

i downloaded the trial and installed it...
however, i get an error (a blue screen) when i try to run it

im running windows ME and thats what i selected when i downloaded it...not sure whats wrong

Are you sure that the avi file isn't DIVX encoded. Try getting the latest divx codecs...

fbiwicked,

If you just want to get the AVI file over to MPEG-1 for VCD format, then go here and grab TMPGEnc:

There are a ton of other utilites listed here as well. However, TMPGEnc is free and should do the job nicely. After you install and run it, look through these tutorials if you need any:

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back