Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

hc1619

Programmer
Feb 17, 2004
NZ
I have a photo rating system on my site.. one table, RateMe, which contains the votes, who made the vote, and who the vote was for.

In my stored proc, whenever a vote is cast I then do a count of the votes and get a new average to store against the members profile. This is what I'm doing at the moment:

Update Members
Set Votes = (SELECT COunt(RateID)
From RateMe
Where rMemberID = @rMemberID),rating = (SELECT AVG(CAST(rating as decimal(5,4)))
From RateMe
Where rMemberID = @rMemberID)
Where MemberID = @rmemberID

But I can't get the average to come out with decimal points.. ie, 5.67. All i get is 5, or 6, just a single number. Is there something wrong I am missing here?

You could do the average yourself:

SELECT 1.0 * Sum(rating) / Count(rating)

or just try the 1.0 trick by itself

SELECT Avg(1.0 * rating)

like this?

Update Members
Set Votes =
(SELECT COunt(RateID) From RateMe Where rMemberID = @rMemberID),
,rating =
(SELECT Avg(1.0 * rating) from RateMe where rMemberID = @rMemberID)
From RateMe
Where MemberID = @rmemberID

... cos its bringing up error: "Incorrect syntax near 'from'

ignore last post.. dumb syntax error that i missed.

OK i got the code working.. but whats being stored in my Members table is still just a single digit where the final AVG should be.. its called "Rating" and is set to tinyint.

Also.. when I test it and make a vote of 10 it throws an arithmetic overflow error? Why would this be??

Why would you use tinyint? It seems an entirely unsuitable data type for something such as an average. Try decimal.

whoops.. i saw the precision thing in EM on the tinyint field and thought it could handle it.. didnt realise it was greyed out tho.

OK so i have changed it to decimal.. still storing just the single digit. What else could I be missing?

What is your precision and scale on your decimal value?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

which is 3 digits, 0 to the right of the decimal point.

try 20,10 and see what you get.

That's your problem. Scale is the # of digits to the right of the decimal. You have it set at 0 which means you only want whole number decimals.

Precision is the TOTAL # of digits both left or right of the decimal, so you've currently got your decimal set up as XXX. with nothing after.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

thank you!! never dealt with decimal or precision/scale stuff.. had no idea. thanks :)

Do you know about SQL Server Books Online? It's the help file installed automatically with SQL Server and Enterprise Manager. When you have a question, you should start with some research in there. All you need to know about decimal data types is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back