Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG Free slipped to bottom place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk

I was surprised to see that PC World rated AVG Free at the bottom of its list of ten leading AV products (page 82, March 2006 issue).

AVG Free scored 73 ("good"), compared to 92 ("superior") for the top-rated BitDefender Standard, and 87 ("very good") for McAfee. According to the article, AVG fell down on its heuristic testing and "clunkier interface".

This surprises me, because almost everything else I have read on AV software says that AVG is one of the best, if not the best. In fact, the reason I went with AVG in the first place was on the strength of PC World's recommendation a couple of years ago.

I'd be interested to hear any comments from you experts.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

'Clunkier interface', well that's hardly relevant.
Best free solution might be a better description, The point is if you want to pay through the nose for a mainstream product, (that will be a first target for malware), then you should.
But I prefer a multi tiered (free) approach of which AVG is a main part.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Steve,

Well, it's interesting that the article rated AntiVir Personal and Alwil Home Edition higher than AVG -- they are both free as well.

Personally, I'd be happy to pay a modest fee for an AV program, but only if it provided extra benefits.

When I started using AVG, I found the interface a little awkward -- it took some getting used to. But I've settled down quite well with it now. What I really like about it is the ease of updating -- and the non-intrusive way it notifies you when an update is due.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

I use the paid for version on AVG as MacaFee and Norton were just too big - they totally hammer system resources on older machines. AVG is nice and neat, with minimal impact on the users. The nework edition rolls out updates neatly accross the stations and lets me know the status of them as well.

Have a look at the new ETrust. You can d/l a trial version that's free for 12 months. I use and like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back