Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG 9 on SBS 2003 with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCGSTL

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2003
GB
A couple of months ago we upgraded our AVG software from 8.5 to 9, including the email scanner on the server.
Ever since then most of our PCs (all XP SP3) have become very slow (20+ minutes) at booting and loading Outlook. At various times during the day access to network resources is severly compromised.
I have tried unistalling AVG from some PCs and replacing with MS Security Essentials or Avast, and while this appears to help, there is still a major issue with network access.
Local resources are, generally, not causing the problem (CPU and RAM usage is acceptable).
I am contemplating removing AVG from the server to see if this solves the problem, but thought I would see if anyone else has experienced similar issues, or as any suggested solutions.
Many thanks in advance.

If you have anti-virus software on your servers and your client PCs then you don't want your client PCs' anti-virus software scanning network drives that may be mapped to the local PC.

I haven't used the corporate version of AVG so I don't know if that is an option. I know with the anti-virus we used (eTrust InoculateIT) there is an option as to which drives to scan.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Thanks for the post.
I don't think that scanning is the problem. We've had running on both server and PCs for several years without any performance issues until we upgraded to AVG 9. Since then boot times and program load times have gone through the roof.

This might sounds silly but is the version of AVG you are running on the SBS server the SBS version of AVG? I know when I installed the standard version on my SBS machine with the email scanner installed it caused all kinds of slowness and other issues. I had to remove the email scanner on the SBS server but left the rest behind and it works just fine now. Though upgrading to the SBS version of AVG would be the best solution.

Thanks for the post - and there's nothing wrong with suggesting the bleedin' obvious! Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.
And it would be great if this was the case but no, it's the Email Server Edition of AVG 9.0.
If I remove AVG from a PC and install something else, e.g. Avast or MS Security Essentials, this seems to improve matters markedly, but there are still some issues with network access.

I thought even if you use the Exchange part of SBS you still need the SBS version of AVG not the Exchange server version. Something about the wierd interaction of all those different server components on one machine. Have you tried using wireshark or a sniffer program to see what kind of traffic is moving between your server and the pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back