Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG 8.0 installation failed, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drnick5

Technical User
Jan 22, 2007
US
I am an AVG reseller and sold a customer a copy of AVG 8.0, I went to install it and kept getting the instillation failed error message followed by:

Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

My customer was coming to pickup the computer in an hour, and wiht no other support options, all I could do is send grisoft tech support an E-mail and dig around google to try and find an answer.

I did find an answer on a forum, apparently Grisoft knows about the problem, and if you e-mail Grisoft, they will send you a zip file containing reset_access.bat . This Bat file is supposed to fix the problem (which I guess has to do with permissions on the registry)

I did a google search for this file, but couldn't find a single place to download the file, only forum posts saying they got the file in an E-mail from grisoft. I checked in my reseller portal form grisoft, theres no mention of the problem, or the bat file.

Now I'm at the mercy of Grisoft's slow e-mail tech support (which luckly, I've never had to use before)

As a temp solution I tried to install AVG 7.5 free (which installed perfectly!), I told my customer I'd remotely install AVG 8 when I get a response from grisoft.

I got an e-mail back from Grisoft, with the Bat file attached and instructions how to use it. I had to cal my customer, remote into his computer and install the bat file then try the AVg install again, and it STILL didn't work.

Now when I installed this I made SURE that the user is an administrator (which he is, there are no other user accounts on this machine)

I'm at a loss, I can't believe I'm able to install the FREE version of AVG yet I can't install the PAID version. this problem has cost me about 2 hours of my time that I can't get paid for (since I already sold this to my customer coupled with other work)

I've always loved grisoft and their AVG software... but this is NOT acceptable to me in anyway.

anyone run into this problem? anyone fix it?

help!

just a suggestion; unistall the previous 8.0 & 7.5 then re install the 8.0

well, I appreciate the attempt, the problem is I CAN'T get AVG 8 installed at all.... I can't uninstall AVG 8 if it never gets installed in the first place.

I am experiencing the exact same issue upgrading from a paid version of AVG 7.5 to the paid version of AVG 8.0 on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine. I have checked and verified I have full administrator rights, and I have even restored my system to an earlier configuration and tried to re-install the AVG 7.5 and now it will no longer install either. AVG's tech support has been useless thus far, and have only responded by saying "they have received my inquiry." If any one seeing this has the "reset_access.bat" file that others have mentioned PLEASE post it!

Thanks In Advance!

Reading the AVG Free forum, I can see that there are some issues with the free version of 8,
I think that AVG 8 still needs more work, it migh be better to give it a few more weeks, so they (Grisoft) can iron out the bugs?

Steve: N.M.N.F.
Playing the blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back