Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Averaging a set of averages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtremlylost

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
US
I have a report which calculates averages for productivity by shift for any date requested. This works fine but when trying to come up with a total average for the day the calculations come up to impossible numbers. I have tried various grouping levels and functions but cannot seem to get a correct "average of averages". This is a simple report grouped by date. I need a total average for the date from the averages already calculated for the shifts and then another average at the end of the report for a total average for the department for the date range specified.

Any ideas?

Sometimes the view is perfect right where you are and sometimes falling is the only way to know it.

Averaging of Averages is generally avioded. The results are not properly weighted in most cases, and the results are therefore not accurate indications of the processes.

If you persist in the persuit of the problematic values through possibly faulty processes, you will want to post some additional details, since you provide little or no detail, it is not possible (except possibly through mind reading) to know how / where the set of values to average is obtained or what you are using to further aggregate the aggregates.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

As you say, it is true that the numbers just do NOT compute. Over the past week I have worked on this issue and found that varying results can be found.

The details:
Productivity averages, calculated by lbs. produced/scheduled hours first by shifts, which there are three of them and the additional average I was after was to average these three together to get the average for the day. I found, however that to average total lbs produced for the day divided by the total scheduled hours did not produce the same results as simply averaging the three shifts together. (I was wanting AVG(AVG[TEXT4]) or something along those lines to work but it wouldn't.
I chose to contact production control to see how their spreadsheets were calculating for reporting to corporate. I designed to follow them for accuracy by using the above calculation of [Cumulative Lbs Produced]/[Cumulative Sched Hours]. This produces the necessary results. Thanks, at least, for responding. I should have known better than to leave out the details. Been awhile since I posted. Won't happen again.

XSIVELYLOST

Sometimes the view is perfect right where you are and sometimes falling is the only way to know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back