Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya....What is going to happen? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

300Blackout

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2015
US
Avaya filed Chapter 11 yesterday. Wonder what is going to happen? I think it hurt Avaya buying Nortel. Nortel was old TDM platform and the BCM was pretty much a flop especially the BCM 50. Avaya had too many platforms to keep up kind of like GM with car brands.

You are entitled to your opinion on what you consider a crappy Nortel product. Would be nice if you could explain what was a flop about the BCM and Nortel in general? Please do.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

Yes I am interested you came to that decision of being a flop as well being it made it past 12 years and was only stopped due to Avaya not wanting 2 products of the same nature.

Like any Bankruptcy assets are sold off, depending whom buys what will determine it's future how ever there is restructuring in this case:

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

this has been coming for months, they are restructuring as a software company. My guess is they will kill the IPO and move to server only edition. If you looked at their website over the past year or so they killed links to SMB. They just put stuff back recently. They'll probably let hosted space take all the SMB market share as thats where that is heading anyway. Id guess they'll look to stay competitive in the enterprise space like Skype, but i just can't see any CIOs of enterprise companies investing their telecommunications in a company that just filed chapter 11.

Avaya's niche was the SMB market with cisco holding the advantage with enterprise. I just don't see how they could restructure appropriately in time while simultaneously going up against other platforms. Eventually money runs out and this is what happens.

Hey all I'm saying is Avaya spent almost 1 billion dollars on what? They still have to support BCM and Option 81/CS1000...but still have their own platform Aura and IPO to worry about. They wasted 1 billion dollars on getting a customer base they could have got any way. The could have spent that billion on RD against Cisco and Shoretel and been much better off than trying to keep Nortel platforms going.

Who's customer data base did they buy for a bill?......Exactly!!! Made no sense to buy Nortel for a 1000 million dollars

Avaya purchased Nortels assets from the Enterprise division for $900M and probably what you are referring too in that case.

That's a tough one to call on what went wrong but probably a lot lol.
Nortel was strong in the Enterprise but they dabbled in too many other things as well bad management... who did not even realize they were in trouble.

Kinda seems like Avaya is following suit.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Avaya did not know what it bought. They just wanted customers. Products were brought into Aura with cs1k 7.5 and higher and BCM/SRG 6.0 all Avaya branded and code changed to work with SIP interop of Aura. Data portfolio was like a foreign language to Avaya offices.
which if anybody remembers the MCS5100 (we used all the time at Nortel)it ran circles around Session Manager. and was on the market in 2000. All products were good both Avaya & Nortel, problem became customers, partners and even Avaya kept them in silos. It became a turf war of who bought who and sales comfort zones (lack of knowledge)
anyway Avaya is no new comer to restructure and lay off. They have visited several times and were already $6B in debt when won the stalking horse bid on Nortel. Probably was bad decision 20/20 hind sight. sales force & sales design struggled to understand their own road maps. would you want to work there now?

State Governments,small towns and utilities still use Centrex lines and Norstar key system for communications. The Norstar just keeps working and the state government contracts control Centrex line cost. ATA devices on VoIP systems just are not reliable on fire or security systems, faxes or telemetry modems.

RKDavis Wilmington,NC

^ RKdavis, i beg to differ. We have many municipalities and about 10-15 in the pipeline looking to move over. Almost all use regular cable internet with cellular 4g backup.

I work on PSAP's where the M7310 set trunk appearances are emulated on a touch screen monitors. Each 911 console has a Norstar intercom DN. I experience a lot of buildings where inside you lucky to get 1X cell signal. I know there are cellular modems to replace analog lines but it not always practical. Cable DTA modems do not hold up well in harsh environments.

RKDavis Wilmington,NC

The cellular backup is tied the firewall not individual desktop. It's tested before installation for coverage. I've never seen an implementation where that wasn't a reliable backup. Plus that's all it is, a backup.

Landlines will be dead in 5 years, maybe less

I'm not sure about POTS dying off within 5 years as there are places where LECs do not offer upgraded service and have no cable alternative.

The Church I attend is a prime example. The two cable companies that serve the town have no conduits on our side of the street and Verizon has not installed any FiOS fiber.

We are limited to Verizon copper and 7 down 768 up DSL service. With this level of data service, there is no way I would broach the idea of switching to a service like Vonage.

The only way we're going to get something other than traditional POTS is if Verizon actually goes through and starts to deliver services OTA because it...and the cable companies...refuse to service our building properly.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

VoIP-info.org projects only 6% of phone service will be landline by end of 2018. That's next year. Ask any Verizon tech they'll tell you the same. If you cannot see writing on the wall brother I don't know what to tell you.

Nortel was strong in the Enterprise but they dabbled in too many other things as well bad management... who did not even realize they were in trouble.

Kinda seems like Avaya is following suit.
Probably because they seemed to adopt a lot of (IMHO BAD) Nortel working practices - I guess no one bothered to ask why Nortel were in a position to be purchased in the 1st place.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Phoneguy, why don't you give the three largest cities in the nation a phone call sometime and tell them they are screwed. Someone better get the message across to Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City, all which use extensive amounts of Nortel/GenBand Centrex equipment for their police, fire and city services.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

Not saying they don't use it now, saying they will likely change in the near future. FUD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back