Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya vs. Nortel - Campus VoIP Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2005
US
Hi everyone,

I've been asked to do some research regarding a VoIP implementation for a small-mid size university. Currently, the college utilizes over 6000 Centrex lines. No PBX is in place. Our current telecom provider only deals with Nortel, and therefore is recommending a Nortel system. While I am somewhat vendor neutral, I believe Avaya has a stronger background in VOIP than Nortel. Any ideas, etc?

Thanks,
Matthew

The guys from CE"X" level who left cisco to turn nortel "around", just quit. That probably says alot about the company. Seems like it was 3 or 4 C level execs.

I have not heard anything oneway or the other about Nortel's voip. Just the fact that the come from a telephony back ground rates them higher than cisco in my book.

RTMCKEE

CM 2.1.1
Prologix R9.05
Modular Messaging 1.1

Take a look at Empire State College in upstate NY. VOIP all over with remote workers, remote survivable sites, lots of POE IP sets on the desks with extreme switches. It works great.

I've been reading some technology magazine that conducted an independent testing on VOIP. Out of the systems they have tested AVAYA came to the top. It said that Nortel did not want to participate on the testing.

Edgar Clemente

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back